Full-time / flexible part-time
When Immediate–March 2021 (with possibility to extend)
Work hours Totally flexible, but you should be able to respond reasonably quickly to any urgent issues
Please do not contact us if you represent an agency
To apply for this role, please send a brief CV (or Github username) and examples of your work to email@example.com
About the roleWe are working to transform the planning system for the 21st century. We are working with Local Planning Authorities and the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government to build digital, web-based planning services.
To support this, we have been developing Plan✕, a lo-code platform that allows planning authorities to write, maintain and publish digital planning services, policies and legislation as machine-readable code.
As the first digital planning services enter the BETA stage, we are looking for a skilled, friendly DevOps engineer to lead the everyday monitoring, operation, security and maintenance of the platform. You will check-in regularly with the product manager and work closely with the dev and design teams on continuous product development and optimisation.
If you’re someone who is thorough, trustworthy and motivated by a love of lean, scalable services and a genuine desire to leave democracy better than you found it, we want to work with you.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and technical communication skills. Able to liaise with external technical teams (eg in order to create and maintain data integrations).
- Thrives in an iterative and sometimes ambiguous R&D environment, which requires trade-offs.
A skill for spotting issues before they become issues, developing fixes, and pushing them.
- Reliable, trustworthy, and motivated by delivering robust, lean digital services that improve people’s lives.
A love for clean, standards-compliant, well-patterned code
- Invites team & users to report issues, without defensiveness.
- Can take initiative, as well as working with the lead developer to agree strategic approach.
Competent with monitoring and managing services on AWS.
Experience of working with Docker
High level of proficiency working with GraphQL & REST APIs.
Experience of working on React projects.
Comfortable and effective working collaboratively (and remotely) using Github.
Nice to haves
Experience of working with Hasura.io
- Experience of working with GIS data
- Experience of working on digital government services and/or other services with a strong emphasis on accessibility
- Interest in schema design and good open data standards
What’s in it for you
- Working with a small, friendly, motivated team working remotely, with regular (eg quarterly) team meetups (usually in London / UK)
- Ridiculously flexible working
- Possibility of continuing to develop the product as it grows, and to help us prototype, build, deploy and operate technologies that can genuinely transform society and the economy.
If in doubt, applyWe care more about your talent, motivation, values and the content of your character than we do about your formal qualifications or background. If you’re not sure if this role is for you, please apply anyway.
Interested? Got questions? Get in touch︎