Full stack developer for
Part / full time, flexible hours
When Now –
Applications open 8th September 2021
Applications close 11th October 2021
About the role One of the big ‘moonshot’ challenges we face this century is to transform the way we build. Buildings are responsible for around 39% of all carbon emissions in their construction and use, and 63% of all waste, as well as underpinning our health and wellbeing. The weird thing is that most of the knowledge we need to make this transformation is actually already here – it just isn’t very well distributed (or adopted) yet. The lesson: it’s impossible to transform the way we construct buildings without first transforming the way we design and procure them.
We think the web has a huge role to play in this. The web has transformed almost everything about our lives, but it hasn’t transformed the way we design and build the places where we live and work. Yet.
Open Systems Lab are working on an open source, 3D design tool for the web that aims to make it much simpler to design buildings, powered by rules and data that allow the designer to, for example, instantaneously count every screw, and see the impact of their design decisions on cost and carbon.
We are looking for a talented, creative, full stack developer, with an appetite for exploring the future of 3D design automation in the web, and a passion for working on a practical, experimental open R&D project with a huge social mission.
Requirements for the role
- Experience of working with React.
- Interested in working with Three.js
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking and communication skills.
Thrives in an iterative and sometimes ambiguous R&D environment; able to rapidly build and test ideas.
- Love for clean, standards-compliant, tested, well-patterned, well-documented code .
- Competent working with production, GraphQL or REST APIs.
- Comfortable and effective working collaboratively (and remotely) using Github.
- A desire to work at the early stages of a potentially transformative technology with a strong social and environmental purpose: and to bring it out into the world.
- Willingness to show leadership and take ownership around a product, as well as working collaboratively with the designer, project manager, computational / content designer and others in the dev team.
Nice to haves
- Knowledge (or interest in ) React Three Fiber
- An instinct for great UX & UI
- Experience or interest in 3D spatial problems and coding – for example playing with Blender, Grasshopper, Processing etc.
What’s in it for you
- Work with an incredibly talented, friendly, motivated team of people in a sometimes demanding, but always kind, inclusive environment.
- Ridiculously flexible working. Work where you want and when you want (most of the time at least).
- Work on stuff that matters: an open source project with potential to have a big impact on industry, society and the environment.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
–– Margaret Mead
If you’re interested in this role, but you’re not quite sure whether your skills and experience quite fit, please get in touch︎ or just apply anyway.
Please do not contact us if you represent an agency.
To apply for this role, please send a brief CV / resumé, along with some examples of other things you’ve worked on (if appropriate) to email@example.com