Part / full time, flexible hours
When Now –
Applications open 8th September 2021
Applications close 11th October 2021
About the role We are working to transform the UK planning system for the digital era. Planning is one of the most fundamental layers of democracy, and yet our planning system is famous for being slow, opaque and inaccessible, especially to those who don’t have money or time.
Open Systems Lab are working with local planning authorities and the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) to build the first fully digital planning services. That means services that are simpler, more transparent, and more accessible, allowing users to submit information as structured, machine-readable data, instead of as long, impenetrable PDF documents.
They are also some of the first ‘Rules as code’ services in the world: that means they can pre-check schemes against the relevant planning legislation and policy.
To make that possible, we are building Plan✕, an open source platform that allows planning authorities to write, operate and collaborate on shared ‘rules as code’ planning services as flowcharts. A kind of Github for public services and policies.
Requirements for the role
- Experience of working with React
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and communication skills with both technical and semi-technical team members.
- A natural doer-deliverer, who can work in an agile way, weigh up priorities and make good judgements, balancing short term delivery against long-term vision and future-proofing.
- Enthusiasm for building highly modular, containerised software.
- High level of proficiency working with GraphQL and / or REST APIs.
- A love of building fantastic, simple, accessible user experiences and interfaces.
- Able to thrive in an iterative and sometimes ambiguous agile R&D environment, which requires trade-offs.
- A love for clean, standards-compliant, well-patterned, well-documented code .
- Comfortable and effective working collaboratively (and remotely) using Github.
Nice to haves
- Experience of / comfortable with working with Typescript (or other typed languages).
Experience of working with Hasura.io or similar.
- Experience of working with GIS data.
- Experience of working with Docker or Heroku type services.
- Experience of working on digital government services and/or other services with a strong emphasis on security, accessibility, auditability, interoperability and data responsibility.
What’s in it for you
- Work with a small, but incredibly talented, friendly, and motivated team of people in a high-expectations, but always kind and inclusive environment.
- Ridiculously flexible working. Work where you want and when you want (most of the time at least).
- Take a key role in a transformative public digital project, with potential to have a hugely positive impact on a key layer of everyday democracy.
If you’re interested in this role, but you’re not quite sure whether your skills and experience quite fit, please get in touch or just apply anyway.
Please do not contact us if you represent an agency.
To apply for this role, please send a brief CV / resumé, along with some examples of other things you’ve worked on to email@example.com