Sorry, we are no longer accepting new applications for this role.
Full stack developer
Full-time / flexible part-time
When Immediate–March 2021 (with strong possibility to extend)
Work hours Flexible
Please do not contact us if you represent an agency
To apply for this role, please send a brief CV (or Github username) and examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the roleOpen Systems Lab is a small, non-profit R&D lab working to prototype, build, and deploy technology that can genuinely transform society and the economy for the better.
We are currently working to transform the planning system; to make it more transparent and more democratic. We are working with Local Planning Authorities and the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government to build digital, web-based planning services.
To support this, we have been developing Plan✕, a lo-code platform that allows planning authorities to write, maintain and publish digital planning services, policies and legislation as machine-readable code.
As the first digital planning services enter the BETA stage, we are looking for a skilled, friendly full stack developer to help develop, launch and run the platform. You will work closely with the product manager as well as our small dev and design team on continuous product development and optimisation.
If you’re someone who is thorough, trustworthy and motivated by a love of lean, scalable services and a genuine desire to leave democracy better than you found it, we want to work with you.
- Wants to work on things that matter
Is excited by the idea of joining a small team early and taking a lead role in developing and realising a product.
- Able to break down challenges, build new features and ship little-and-often.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and technical communication skills. Able to liaise with external technical teams (eg in order to create and maintain data integrations).
- Thrives in an iterative and sometimes ambiguous R&D environment, which requires trade-offs.
A skill for spotting issues before they become issues, developing fixes, and pushing them.
A love for clean, standards-compliant, well-patterned code
- Encourages team & users to report issues and bugs, without defensiveness.
- A self-starter who can take ownership of the outcome and take the initiative, as well as working with the lead developer to agree strategic approach.
- Experience of working on React projects.
Competent with monitoring and managing services on AWS.
Experience of working with Docker
- High level of proficiency working with GraphQL & REST APIs.
Comfortable and effective working collaboratively (and remotely) using Github.
Nice to haves
Experience of working with Hasura.io
- Experience of working with GIS data
- Experience of working on digital government services and/or other services with a strong emphasis on accessibility
What’s in it for you
- Working with a small, friendly, talented and highly motivated team.
- Ridiculously flexible working, from anywhere (with occasional team meetups (usually in London / UK)
- Potential for continuing to develop the product and taking a leading role
If in doubt, please get in touchWe care more about your talent, motivation, values and the content of your character than we do about your formal qualifications or background. If you’re not sure if this role is for you, please apply anyway.
Interested? Got questions? Get in touch︎